Jonathan R. Marshall focuses his practice on solving complex problems for individuals, other lawyers, and business owners. His approach to sophisticated legal work involves a team centered orientation where creative and experienced lawyers, subject matter experts, and technology leaders are leveraged to create practical and valuable solutions for clients.
In keeping with this philosophy, Jonathan has led federal and state mass tort and class action litigations in a dozen states. He has tried multiple mass and class actions to verdict.
Through a mixture of jury verdicts, settlements, and creative solutions, he has helped his clients avoid liability and provided hundreds of millions of dollars to his clients.
Jonathan leads the firm’s Consumer Litigation Group, which focuses on numerous areas of consumer law including debt collection, predatory lending, TCPA, and wage-and-hour class actions.
Jonathan is a Director of the Center for Consumer Law and Education at West Virginia University College of Law, where he also teaches.
He is also a founder and co-chairman of the Consumer Law Division of the West Virginia Association for Justice and a frequent speaker at seminars on consumer law issues.
Awards & Accolades
- Best Lawyers in America, Consumer Law, Consumer Protection Law, and Mass Tort Litigation / Class Action – Plaintiffs (2021 – 2023)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions (2023)
- Super Lawyers, West Virginia, Class Action (2023)
- 2017 Member of the Year Award Recipient, West Virginia Association of Justice
- 2016 Consumer Advocate of the Year Award Recipient, West Virginia Association of Justice
- Served as class counsel in approved class settlements totaling more than $100 million, in dozens of state and federal cases; successfully litigated cases involving a range of consumer issues including predatory lending, debt collection, loan origination, and TCPA claims
- Exemplar recent contested cases include: Dijkstra v. Carenbauer (N.D. W. Va.) (court awarded class more than $2.6 million after granting affirmative summary judgment in mortgage loan case alleging violations of the West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act; settled on appeal)
- Alig v. Quicken (N.D. W. Va.) (court certified class and awarded each class member $3,500 for defendant’s practice of sending appraisers estimated home values; presently on appeal)
- Exemplar loan servicing cases settled in last two years include: Henry v. Ocwen (class action settlement for $1.975 million in case alleging debt collection violations under West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act); Perez v. Figi’s (S.D. W. Va.) (same; $1.7 million settlement); Snuffer v. Liberty University, (Circuit Court of Raleigh County, W. Va.) (same; more than $1.947 million settlement); Cox v. BB&T Co. (S.D. W. Va.) (same; $861,355 settlement)
- Additional high-stakes class settlements include: Dunlap v. Wells Fargo (Circuit Court of Lincoln County, West Virginia) (consumer class action resulting in $9 million cash settlement, plus millions of dollars in debt relief, interest rate reductions and credit repair provided as part of the settlement); In re Monitronics (N.D. W. Va.) ($28 million TCPA class action settlement)
- Led more than 45 certified wage and hour class actions
- Negotiated confidential resolutions to more than 50 high-stakes contractual disputes among business owners over a three-month period
- Tried a West Virginia flood case to a verdict of over $1 million, and on appeal changed the measure of damages for real property law that had been West Virginia law for over three decades, a victory for successful West Virginia landowners
- Deem v. Ames True Temper, Inc.
- Triplett v. NationStar Mortgage
- Shonk Land Company, LLC v. SG Sales Company
Community and Professional Activities
- President, West Virginia Association for Justice
- Director, Center for Consumer Law and Education, West Virginia University College of Law
- Co-Chair and Founding Member, West Virginia Association for Justice Consumer Law Division
- Co-Chair Education Committee, National Association of Consumer Advocates
- President of the Board of Directors, West Virginia Land Trust